Monday, August 20, 2012

Chasing Superwoman


I suppose it was a moment that has been months in the making {6 to be exact.} What started out as an innocent trip to meet the teacher at Henry’s new preschool ended in a puddle of tears. 

I was a little nervous going in that Henry would be a little clingy since up until this point in his life, he’s stayed at home with me. Much to my relief, he marched right into the classroom without skipping a beat.  His new teacher is AWESOME and she put him {and me} at ease right away. Everything was going splendidly until the parent folders were handed out.  Inside I found the 2 page school supply list, class snack calendar, a fundraising committee sign up, parent homework assignment, field trip volunteer form, and a 1 inch thick stack of papers to fill out by yesterday. Did I mention that he's two, people!  It was just one thing too many.

I didn't tell her it was too much or ask any questions. I just smiled and nodded and swallowed hard. The second the car door closed, I felt my eyes burn and then begin to water. It wasn’t long before my tears turned into full blown sobs. Right there in the parking lot.

It was such an out of character reaction from me.  I mean, call me what you want, but I am not a crier. But the stress of the past 6 months…the stress of being a full time student, a good friend, a better wife, trying to lose the baby weight, and being a mommy of 3…finally got the best of me. 
 

I’ve had way too much on my plate lately. Let’s be honest, the sleep deprivation alone that comes with having a newborn is enough to send anyone over the edge.  I am not Superwoman, and it's exhausting to try.




My to-do list is a mile long. My house isn't clean. {At this point, I'd settle for sanitary} My kids don't get a bath every night.  Heck, we don't even have a proper bedtime routine most nights. My husband doesn't get the attention he deserves. My own school work isn’t my best effort, I'm just doing enough to get by.

The point is, I know I could be doing a better job. But lately all I can muster is a good enough. Right now, I spend my days just trying to catch my breath. I drink my coffee in the shower. I read my emails while brushing my teeth. By the time I get out of the house I've been up for three hours and haven’t sat once.
But the thing is, I have dreams and goals. I have plans. I know where I want to go but sometimes I feel like I’m swimming upstream to get there.

And along with that comes feelings of guilt because all of the things that pull me in fifty different directions are the things that I've sacrificed for. That I've worked for. That I love.

I want it all. I want time with my kids and time for myself. And most days there aren't enough hours in the day for both. But they win. Every single time. And I'm okay with that because deep down, I know that there will come a day when they won't need me as much. One day they will grow up to chase dreams of their own. Until then, I'll keep drinking my coffee in the shower. After all, that’s what superwoman would do.  




22 comments:

  1. That seems like a really long list of things for you to worry about. I'm really sorry. Is that normal for a two year old??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be a bit much...I'm all for parent involvement but geesh!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a lot of things for a 2 year old in school, but of course all schools are different. Can you at least have your hubby fill out some of the paperwork so you don't have to do it all and get a few other things done! Just focus on your family and all the other things will eventually fall in place. I always stress about housework, but really, it doesn't matter! As long as it is somewhat sanitary (eek!) its ok! It will get done eventually!! Good luck mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It gets better...I promise. Your newest follower from the Mommy Mixer.
    Anissa from Chasing Hailey
    http://chasinghailey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,thanks so much for linking up the Mommy Brain mixer! I totally relate to this. I guess we have to remember that we cannot do it all and learn to let go. Do visit my blog when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I'm your newest blog follower!

      Delete
    2. Loved your post so much, I featured it again: http://momofbigalittlea.blogspot.com/2012/08/what-ive-been-reading-this-week-7-mommy.html

      Delete
  5. Stopping by from the mommy mixer. I have my sons three year old orientation in two weeks and am dreading all the paperwork and craziness. Hopefully once school begins things will calm down for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It seems like the beginning of the year is always stressful...good luck mama!

      Delete
  6. Stopping by from the mommy brain mixer and so glad I stumbled upon your blog.
    Your "About" section made me laugh out loud....Can't you enjoy the wine AND Starbucks!?
    I'm looking forward to following your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was seriously just drooling over your blog last night. Love your design, love your writing. I'm your newest follower :)

      Delete
  7. I'm new here (from the mommy brain mixer), and I have to say, you sure sound like superwoman to me. Believe it or not, this post really helps me. My toddler starts Pre-K in less than 2 weeks, and I'm starting back to school the day after she starts. I think I will remember your words on the days I'm feeling overwhelmed by it all.

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such kind words! We just have to remember to BREATHE and that this too shall pass!

      Delete
  8. Don't know if this helps, but I found that I'd come up with shortcuts as I went along and they helped. When my kids were old enough to sit safely, I'd sit one on the floor of the shower with his dad in the morning. Dad would soap and shampoo him up, yell for me when he was done and I'd grab him - quick and easy daily wash, The other one went in with me. You'll come up with shortcuts that work for you, too.
    Here from the Mommy Mixer. Joined your site as a follower. http://BakingInATornado.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips Karen! We're slowly figuring it out but having two under two has been such a learning curve for us!

      Delete
  9. Stopping by from the Mommy Mixer. I am so glad that I am not alone! Having three kids is a tough transition and I have often felt the same way. In fact, I am sitting here looking at a huge pile of clothes and wondering if I should fold them or just go to bed. I am also thinking about the two packets of papers that I have to fill out…ugh…now I have to get up from the computer and go do it. Lol

    Carmen
    www.thetriplebs.com
    I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by. A mommy's to-do list never ends and the more kids you have the longer it seems to get. But that's what we have wine for, right?

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! Have you tried chocolate wine? Two of my favorite things together! It is an awesome thing! Lol

      Delete
  10. I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Liebster award because I just love your design! Check out this link for more details. http://www.thetriplebs.com/2012/09/liebster-award.html
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was randomly looking around blog land and I found this post. I can totally relate and admire what you and other moms do. It's super stressful having to take on everything. From the browsing around I've done on your blog (sorry I'm a creeper lol) it looks like you're doing just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete