Monday, August 27, 2012

Minivan Mafia

I have to be upfront about something. I have a minivan phobia aversion.
I can't count the number of times I've been told how practical they are and what a dream they are to drive. And literally, with the exception of two women that have older children, every single mom in my neighborhood owns one. {I secretly refer to them as the minivan mafia.}

I mean don't get me wrong. I will be the first to admit that I have days where the idea of banishing my teenager to the way back sounds like a little slice of heaven. And those automatic sliding doors? *Drool*

But something about them makes me break into a sweat every time we walk into the car dealership to look at them. Maybe it's because to me they scream "Hey look at me, I'm a mom!"? {Umm hello, did my sloppy gray t-shirt covered in baby snot not give it away?} Is it because the sales guy keeps referring to them as kid carriers and people movers? Or maybe it's because they look like giant rolling boxes of sheet metal to me.  Whatever the case, I just can't get excited about driving one.

But here's the thing. Since having baby #3, our SUV just isn't big enough for our family of 5. It has become obvious that it's time to trade up for something bigger. And so I set out on mission-impossible to find something...anything...that the whole family could fit in comfortably without sacrificing my ego. The Acadia? My fancy double stroller won't fit in the back. The Pilot? My oldest daughter has to do serious acrobatics to climb over the second row seat since we have 2 in car seats. The Suburban? Gas Guzzler. Sigh...

And so, while I may go down kicking and screaming, it appears that I too may soon be joining the ranks of the minivan mafia. Drop down DVD players with wireless head sets, back seat tables, and 15 cup holders be damned.






7 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I look at those behemoths and shudder! Luckily, I have only two..and they both fit well in my Mazda! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha I am so with you!! We're past the point of needing a bigger car (we have to take 2 to go anywhere all together!) but I still cringe at the thought of having to get a minivan! I guess it's the stereotype that bugs me?! I've test driven them all and still find it a hassle to get my 4 little ones all buckled... honestly a passenger van would be easier to get them all into! I guess I've traded car of my choice for babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same phobia. I will not get rid of my jeep grand cherokee for anything....well something....once we have #3 I am sure I will join you in minivan land. Let me know how it goes!

    www.thechirpingmoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! Girl, I'm right there with you! While I prefer the looks of the Acadia, we ended up with a Tahoe that seats 7 and still has room for my stroller and the groceries. I console myself by saying, "At least it's not a Suburban!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to think I would never drive a mini-van, but now with a toddler and a baby on the way my tiny Toyota Corolla is just too small and awkward to get into. I may become part of the mini-van mafia one day. I'll wave to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Please do...we can get matching My Kid is an Honor Student stickers for the back!

      Delete