Thursday, September 27, 2012

Does this minivan make me look fat?

I'm not sure when or where my phobia of minivans began, {you can read all about that here} but I think that deep down I always kind of thought if I ever bought a minivan, I might as well buy a bumper sticker to go with it. You know, the one that says, “I gave up.”  Minivans kind of scream mom jeans and scrunchies to me. No thanks I scoffed. I'm too cool to drive one of those. I've still got it dammit!

Then one day last week our beloved but worn out SUV left me stranded in the carpool line at school and I knew that it was time. It was time to say goodbye to the car that we went on our first date in. The car that we drove away on our honeymoon in. The car that we brought our babies home from the hospital in. 

I know I told you all before that we test drove plenty of shiny, slick SUV's. And I fell in love with more than one of them. But for one reason or another, none of them quite fit our lifestyle. We needed a van.  It was time to do a little soul searching.



I mean maybe, just maybe, the fear I have held onto for years is really about my fear of getting older. My responsibilities. The lack of freedom to come and go as I please. You would think that getting married, or buying a house, or giving birth to 3 children would make me feel like a grown up. Nope. It was shopping for a minivan.

And being a grown up means getting past the coolness factor. I know that logically and financially, at this moment in our lives, driving a van makes the most sense for my family. So tonight, as I sit down to type this, there is a shiny new black minivan in my garage. And to be completely honest {a gazillion cup holders aside} it isn't as bad as I made it out to be in my head. So I'm vowing right here and right now to embrace my new minivan lifestyle. I may just wear a scrunchy in my hair for carpool tomorrow.


 

26 comments:

  1. ha.. I always said I would never drive a mini van.. Then I had a child and I understand now why people buy them! At least yours is nice!!



    www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I love this post. It is a constant battle between my husband and me. We don't have kids yet but I keep telling him I will never drive a mini van- he thinks they are awesome! haha You bought a beautiful one, that's for sure!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband thinks they are awesome too...he's a big part of the reason we got one. I told him I'm pretty sure he just handed over his man card :)

      Delete
  3. congratulations!! Luckily, two kids still fit in the backseat of my Mazda Protege!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you...it might be a minivan but at least it's new. I haven't had a new car in like 10 years!

      Delete
  5. Haha, I feel the same way as you. But that is one sexy minivan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get how you feel about Minivans! At least you got a "cool" one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my teenage daughter who thinks I'm the uncoolest person ever secretly likes it. Not that she'll ever admit it...

      Delete
  7. Also one of the people who said I would never drive a mini van. And with only one kiddo, I Would love one. Big enough to haul all of our crap around! Haha. Because the diaper bag is not big enough ;] Stopping by and following from Mommy Brain Link up ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This exactly! We just got back from a vacation where we were all crammed in the car. That kind of turned the tide for me. I was through wedging between carseats!

      Delete
  8. Yea!!! So glad you got one! You're still cool in my book. :) can't wait to see it! (Also glad I figured out how to comment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha Thanks! I think you're going to need one around March :)

      Delete
  9. This is the most gorg van I have ever seen!!
    Excited to see what other fab posts you come up with!!
    xox
    Ash@ABpetite
    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/2012/09/skinny-chicken-cordon-bleu-pasta.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a van, you sure got a cute one! To this day (I'm in my twenties) my mom talks about how she misses her old toyota previa van & she never thought she would! Loved your scrunchie comment!! New follower from the Mommy-Brain Mixer! Hope you can stop in!
    ~Brittany
    thedennybuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow. That's what everyone keeps telling me...that I will just fall in love with my van. We shall see...I wore a baseball hat to drop off at preschool this morning. Kind of incognito :)

      Delete
  11. New follower here stopping by from the blog hop! Congratulations on your van! HAHAA we were actually discussing this topic with my friends a couple of days ago...they too had to buy a van...and for my husband and I we both feel as if it's a "give up" kind of car too funny that you mentioned it...so we were hoping to be able to slide by and not have to get one but looks like we'll eventually have to get one....good lookin' van though! great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I am eating my words for sure. But if I had to get a van, I was getting the Volkswagen by god...it makes me feel Euro or something!

      Delete
  12. He he he you sound exactly like me. I VOWED never to own a minivan (my mom always had one and I thought they were so lame!). But here I am with two little kids and I'm daydreaming about how nice all that extra space would be. Oh and the automatic sliding doors - HOLLER! lol. So funny how our minds and perspectives changes as we get older. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I could go on for days about the space. It is like green acres in there but I'm still trying to figure out the whole automatic door thing. The teacher in the carpool line had to tap on my window and tell me to put the car in park so that the door would open. I felt llike an idiot! Ha Ha

      Delete
  13. We have been reaching the same conclusion lately - and I swore I'd never drive one. Please keep us posted with how you like this one! We love VW.

    But? No scrunchy. Don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to be convinced that 99% of the people who drive 'em swore they never would! :) But I already see the convenience. Last night while I popped into the mall to shop, my husband and kids stayed in the car and watched a movie...right next to another minivan in the parking lot doing the same thing!

      Delete