Monday, September 17, 2012

Searching For My Thing

Being a wife and a mom of three leaves very little room in my life for much else. Sometimes, I feel like I'm officially tapping into an empty pool. I know that I've said it before. I'm beat and tired and more stressed out than I've ever been in my entire wonderful life. But lately I've grown a little restless. I am still searching for my thing.

I secretly dream about finding a thing that isn't about anyone else. It would be something just for me...my very own mountain to climb and conquer. You see, being a wife and mom isn't my thing- it's my life. It is my reason for being. Your thing should not be your reason for living- it should only add to the experience. My family will always come first- just so that is clear. But then there's my thing...

I've had several things in the past but none of them ever reached full "thing" status. They were more like little blips or blurbs along the way. They came and they went, and while they served a short term purpose, they were not my thing. 
 
If you asked me right now, I might say that blogging is my thing but there is so much to learn and improve upon. At this very moment, I am eager to keep working on it. But that's not to say that it won't change in two weeks when my creative energy shifts.

I want a thing that I get really really good at. Something that might teeter on obsession. {In a healthy way.} After my family responsibilities, I want to devote what little energy I have left to something that makes me proud of myself.
 
I have an idea for my thing but I admit that I am hesitant to share it with the three of you that read my blog. Hesitant because if I write it, it has the potential of becoming something else that I didn't do. Another thing that had wings but just never got off the ground. But there's a spark in me that I desperately want to explore. My new thing will be for me, yes. But the results would greatly benefit the people who mean the most to me. My new thing would allow me to find comfort in the fact that I did what I could do.  If the universe has other plans, well, I can't compete with that. But I would have the satisfaction of knowing that I gave it my all.

So I'm going to leave it at that. Maybe I won't announce it. Instead, I'll just try it without the pomp and circumstance and see where it takes me. And if it develops into a full fledged thing, others will take notice. But if it doesn't then that's ok too. 
 
 "There is no failure except in no longer trying. " ~ Elbert Hubbard

What about you, have you found your thing?

21 comments:

  1. I don't really have a thing... Blogging is about the only "thing" i have that is mine. I don't have a lot of hobbys or time to start learning a new hobby at that!

    Now I want to know what you had in mind :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really had hobbies either...and I feel that way about my blog too! I just have this desire for something more lately. Maybe it's the stay-at-home mom part of me who misses interacting with others.

      Delete
  2. I can relate to what you have written. Have fun exploring the spark!
    I'm a new follower from the blog hop.
    I'd love it if you'd visit my blog.
    Lisa
    akawest.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I'll update if it ever turns out to be something worthy of writing about. So glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely! Don't feel obligated to share it until you're ready!

    I agree with you when you say your family is your life but you need something else just for you! It's the same for me, and I try to make sure that I don't let it interfere with my life. However, without my thing, I would feel frustrated and I suspect that's how it is with you too! Don't be afraid to explore and be creative! And, don't feel guilty about spending time away from your family. Once you discover your thing, you'll feel so much lighter and happy (not that you aren't now!!), that your family will not only actually benefit from it, you will serve as a model of being able to achieve whatever you put your mind too!!

    At least, that's what I tell myself!! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roshni you always have the best advice...it's like my own mini therapy sessions, just like I'm sitting on your couch :)

      Delete
    2. hahhahha!! Well, I'd love to one day hear about your thing, whenever you're ready!!

      Delete
  4. I could have written this post! I feel like I'm always searching for that one "thing". Recently, I have let it go and seem to be finding joy in things I would never have expected. I wish you luck on finding your "thing" too. :)

    Stopping by from the Mingle and now following you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thanks for the follow...I know one day we will find our "thing".

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure that i'll ever find my "thing" either. I'm still searching...

    I'm a new follewer, just stopped by from the Blog Hop.
    Visit me @
    http://unorganizedchaosx3.blogspot.com
    http://diaryofabfmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that quote!! It really is true! You sound like one busy girl! Hobbies are always fun to start! (: I crochet! haha! It's my 'outlet' (: Found you form the blog hop! Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool that you crochet I've always wanted to learn.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jennifer. New follower from the GFC blog hop. I too could have written the above post. I am quite a few years older than you and I STILL dont know what my "Thing" is. I think we spend so much time pouring ourselves into our families when are kids are young that we forget they will grow older and not need us as much. Sometimes we forget who we were before. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura...I agree that it is so hard to remember life before being a mom. I wouldn't change a thing I'm just trying to find some balance in my life since having baby #3.

      Delete
  8. I love this post, I can relate to it 100%, I could have written it myself. I am a mom to 4 kids, they are my life but after I took my 2nd to Kindergarten this year it made me think what do I do for me, what am I going to do when they are all in school. I think its good for everyone to have their own "thing"
    I am your newest follower

    http://www.mymakeupboxes.blogspot.com

    XOXO Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 4? I don't know how you do it. We all need something just for ourselves. Here's hoping we find it!

      Delete
  9. I'm a mom of only one kid, but I do understand what you're saying. I'm still struggling to find time for me, so I can only imagine what you're going through.

    I say go after whatever it is that's in your heart. You can't go wrong with that, you know?

    Newest follower here.

    xo
    SEL
    growinglaughingandlovinginlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow and that is good advice...always, always listen to your heart. :)

      Delete
  10. I would have to agree with you about being a wife/mother is my life but not my "thing". I NEED my career. I love being a nurse...but that's not my thing either. I think blogging, photography (at an amateur, for-my-self level only), cooking, baking, and learning to sew are MY things. I'd love to hear what your "thing" is!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Sarah your photography is amazing. I seriously drool everytime I see your blog...that is definitely your "thing". I'm still working on mine but I promise if it amounts to anything, I'll write about it. :)

      Delete