Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fashion Fail


Gorgeous fall weather that has finally made its way to the South and I’m having some major wardrobe anxiety to go with it. Since giving birth in February, I’ve definitely been battling a few body issues.  Forget the fact that I gained thirty five pounds while pregnant and then thankfully lost it all + 10 more. {I know, I know. Insert eye roll here} But I really worked at it. I cut the crap out of my diet -unless you count my Dove chocolate habit- joined the gym, and chased a toddler around the house all summer.  But between losing the weight and having three babies {two within 20 months of each other} it’s fair to say this body is no wonderland.


Over the spring and summer I stuck to wearing loose fitting t-shirts and running shorts to hide my science experiment belly. And since I was doing nothing but changing poopy diapers and pumping milk all day it didn’t really matter. But now that it’s getting cold out I’ve been forced to confront my sloppy image. And I’m ready. Because lately, no matter what clothes I end up wearing, I still feel like I didn’t quite “get” it.

Take today, for instance. I volunteered at Henry’s preschool and threw on some cuffed capris, a cute black tunic and my ruby red flats. I was feeling pretty good about my choice until I got to his school and looked around.

One mom was wearing an adorable  maxi dress with a denim jacket and wedges. The other was wearing her designer jeans and boutique blouse. So cute. And somehow they managed to chase toddlers around the playground without breaking an ankle. All of a sudden, I felt extremely self-conscious about my outfit.  Did I look too mom-ish? Why didn’t I wear wedges? Oh yeah, because my feet grew a size when I was pregnant.

Maybe I’m being too superficial. I might never be one of those moms who makes adorable look effortless but it’s time for me to get out of this rut and accept my new body. It’s time for me to feel confident again. What I really need, is for Stacy and Clinton to intervene, but I’ll settle for some new clothes. Or at least something that matches my sneakers.

11 comments:

  1. I bet you looked great, but yes, sometimes a trip to a shop to pick out a few versatile, trendy pieces is just what the doctor ordered for Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there next to you. I wore t-shirts and yoga pants for the entire summer. I was chasing around my toddler and going to parks. What else was I supposed to wear?

    But I feel like I've lost all sense of fashion. When I was teaching, I was one of the best dressed teachers. (I even got an award for it. Ha!) But now that I don't have anywhere to go, I've lost a lot of the motivation to look "presentable".

    I've been trying to change that outlook for the past few months. I have so.much.clothing, and only recently have been putting different pieces together. It actually makes me feel good knowing I can look nice if I want/need to. I think having some basic essentials (black dress, nice pair of jeans, etc.,) is the key to it all!

    Go spoil yourself and get something nice! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in need of some essentials. I haven't shopped since before Henry was born and it shows!

      Delete
  3. You have to be comnfortable in your own skin, not someone elses :o) But definitely worth keeping an eye out for some pieces that make you feel great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh by the way, I love your blog design, i love the colour! (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted it to look bright and cheerful and I hope it does :)

      Delete
  5. I think the outfit of yours sounds pretty cute! Forget about the designer wear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! At this point just something from this season, even if it came from Target, would be designer wear in my wardrobe :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Jennifer! I'm Roni from HomePayge blog:) I found you through Naptime Review where I am also a sponsor this month! I wanted to come say hello and follow your blog! I'm now following you:) And there is this little piece of magic that I sell called the Ultimate Body Applicator aka Skinny Wrap that can help you feel more comfortable in your post baby body! It's pretty much the most amazing thing ever! You can find out more on my blog under skinny wraps or shop!

    Hope to see you visit HomePayge!

    XO-Roni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying Hi Roni! The Skinny wrap sounds pretty awesome.

      Delete