Monday, October 22, 2012

Have a Fit and Fall In It

 
And so it begins. The Terrible Twos are upon us again. My sweet little boy has quickly morphed into an independent toddler who pulls his hand away from mine, cries on cue {complete with a quivering bottom lip}, and falls to the floor in utter protest.
 
 


Now that he's developed somewhat of a usable vocabulary and a fierce desire for total self-sufficiency, any attempt to help him do anything is met with a forceful "No! Self!"
 
Like tonight at dinner when his peas kept falling off the spoon and I tried to help. "No! Self!" 
 
When I try to dress him for school? "No! Self!"
 
Getting into the car? "No! Self!"
 
I keep reminding myself that this is all part of the developmental process and that I'll secretly miss these moments when they're gone. And I'm actually having, dare I say, fun watching my little man turn into a person - complete with his own quirks and idiosyncrasies.
 
 

Besides, you can't really get mad about this stuff, so you might as well laugh. And boy, does he hate it when we do that.
 


16 comments:

  1. I have such a hard time not laughing whenever Quinn cries because she wants to do something herself. They're so cute trying to be grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what a fun time... i'm right there with you. Lennox says, No! I do it all by myself! or No, Don't hold my hand, don't push me (even when you aren't pushing!) ahhh!! This too shall pass ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, this too shall pass. I repeat this phrase to myself multiple times somedays.

      Delete
  3. oh what a fun time... i'm right there with you. Lennox says, No! I do it all by myself! or No, Don't hold my hand, don't push me (even when you aren't pushing!) ahhh!! This too shall pass ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely blog! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would stop on by my blog and return the favor!

    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    Thanks!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya! Oh, and the quivering lip is the funniest part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't you love how they can turn it on or off at the flip of a switch? Toddlers can be sooo dramatic!

      Delete
  6. new[est] follower! loving your blog so far! can't wait to keep following along!

    stop by sometime!
    kalobandelise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the joys of independence huh? He sounds like he has a mind of his own.

    http://heidiswanderings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahha!! He has a high-brow vocabulary!! "Self"?!! That first pic is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha My 20 month old has the same response to a lot of things these days as well. It sounds more like yelf, than self, but goodness is it sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete