Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Favorite Part of the Day

This is my favorite part of the day.
I say these words to myself often...

I say them when:Henry wakes up in the morning,with this little tuft
of blonde hair waving at me
And he says
"Mama! Hey!"
(yes, he really says that)
And I smile and pull him close.
And I think
"This is my favorite part of the day"

I say this when:
I hear Caroline cooing from down the hall-
her precious little baby squeals fill the air.
And I go to her-
only to be met with something even sweeter.
Her bright blue eyes and those adorable dimples
that say "I'm a happy girl"
And I think
"This is my favorite part of the day"


I say this as I watch Anna
shuffle down the stairs
her hair in a messy bun, part grownup, part little girl.
She chooses to snuggle with me on the couch before
her drama filled day begins  and she let's me in
to her world, if only if only for a moment.

I say this as:
My husband walks in from work
most of the time smiling.
I know how happy he is to be here
First he hugs his children and then me.
And I feel the way I did almost 8 years ago-
safe, secure, and loved.
And I think
"This is my favorite part of the day"

I say these words:
As I sit down to dinner-
and see my family across from me-
Stephen and his far off stare
which I have learned is just the way
he comes down
from the roller coaster ride
that is his job.

Anna texting friends at the table even though it's not allowed.
Henry and his grumpy pout, who is
too energetic to sit still.
And Caroline just being
the most precious baby
I think I've ever met
even when she is screaming
because she thinks she
should have eaten two days ago.

And I think:
"this is my favorite part of the day"

And I write these words now:
As I have just closed the door to child bedroom #3.
Soaking in the silence...
secretly missing the noise.
And I blog about my life
and drink my wine
And I think that yes, this is really it:
"this is my favorite part of the day"

Until tomorrow morning
when that little tuft of blond hair
is waving at me once again.
And I hear the words "Mama! Hey!"
as another glorious day begins.

11 comments:

  1. This made me tear up a little. It reminded me that it's important to look at the little things because there are so many more little good things than any amount of bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying my best to find the bright spot even in these trying toddler moments!

      Delete
  2. Just like the country song says "someday you're gonna miss this" and I know because I do. Beautiful post keep up, the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that song and it's so true. My teenager was just a toddler yesterday it seems and before I know it she'll be going to college. Just trying to soak it all up, good and bad!

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written! Great to have days like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi! I loved your post so much, I featured it! Check it out! http://momofbigalittlea.blogspot.com/2012/10/what-i-have-been-reading-this-week-13.html

      Delete
  5. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

    A day with family is my favorite day.

    ReplyDelete