Monday, October 1, 2012

My Plan to Survive the Teenage Years

You may or may not have noticed that I don't blog a lot about my teenage daughter. That's because 1) she can read, and 2) lately it's been a stretch to find something cute to write about. Taking away her cell phone and grounding her for talking back don't exactly make for warm fuzzy posts.
 

 
 
Now don't get me wrong, B still has her cute moments and redeeming qualities.  Like when she wants to snuggle on the couch after a long day or stay up late to bake cookies and talk about girl stuff with me. Or when she spends hours on end playing tractors with her brother or reading stories to her baby sister. And she's wicked smart. I have no idea where she gets her smartness (is that a word?) from. I have a few ideas where she gets her stubbornness from, and it's not me, I'm not stubborn. Okay maybe just a smidge, so it shouldn't come as any surprise that she is just as stubborn as me, if not more so. When she digs her heels in about something, she digs all the way to China and back. And these two stubborn heads battle it out every single day at my house. Sometimes my husband just watches in disbelief. I think he secretly finds it amusing. My daughter is the kind of girl who knows what she wants, tells you what she wants, and will fight with you about it until you cave in from sheer exhaustion. And don't even get me started on the talking back. I have no idea where she's learned all of the wonderful phrases that come out of her mouth. It couldn't possibly be from me.
 
The thing that scares me the most, is that when ever I complain to people about the teenage drama that goes down at my house on a daily basis, they chuckle and say "Just wait." Well friends, you heard it here first. If what they say is true, I'm moving out. I will pack up my ipad, my stack of unread people magazines, and drive off into the sunset in my new minivan. I'll go and find myself a cute little one bedroom apartment where teenagers {and toddlers, and babies and husbands} are not permitted. I'll buy an absurd amount of chocolate and drink wine and enjoy the peacefulness of not having the door slammed in my face. Yes I think that is my plan, I will move out.
 
Until then, I have a cell phone to take away. Again.
 

22 comments:

  1. Ugh not looking forward to the teen years. Hoping our little guy is a breeze through that stage... One can dream, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that my son will be easier as a teenager than my girls. I'm dreaming too, right? :)

      Delete
  2. My daughter turns two in November and I'm already eagerly reading "the strong willed child". It says not to implement the ideas in the book until the child is two so my sister wouldn't lend it to me sooner =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too funny...I read that book once upon a time. I am definitely raising a strong willed child!

      Delete
  3. This whole entry made me laugh hysterically. OKAY LET ME EXPLAIN, DON'T HURT ME! Haha. I was 11 when my sister (and only sibling) was born, so I've been experiencing this with her. She turned 16 a couple of weeks ago. I think "taking her phone away" is my mom's #1 activity these days. HOLY MOLY, the attitude! The talking back! The things that come out of that kid's mouth! And then, hot and cold, she waltzes in the room with a smile and a hug after just having told you off teenage-style and recounts funny stories like nothing just happened...it's insane. I'm hoping having a boy (mine is only 15 months old, haha) will be easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! She sounds exactly like my daughter. I'm hoping boys are easier too!

      Delete
  4. found you via google friends connect blog hop. I both love and hate this post! I have a 22 month old daughter and I just have no idea what is to come. But I am game for cuddles on the sofa and late night cookie making! Does it make up for all of the other stuff?? ha!

    http://onceamissnowaqueen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Melanie! The late night cookie making definitely helps smooth over our "rough" days...

      Delete
  5. Big A is already showing us teen attitude....so I'm sure, I CAN'T wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get ready Mama! It happens quicker than you can blink your eyes.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad I have a long time before I need to start thinking about parenting a teen. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It flies by! But here I am startig out again with a baby girl. Sigh...

      Delete
  7. oh my, teen attitudes are really something. I wonder how my parents dealt with me

    Have a wonderful day! Would love for you to stop by and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time does go by--my oldest is senior in h.s. this year and we survived....not sure I'm ready to tackle two more quite yet. At least we have a few years to rest & recover! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if I survive this, at least I'll know what to expect for round two!

      Delete
  9. Hi Jennifer, I'm Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com) visiting from the Mommy Brain Mixer.

    Oh, this had me laughing. Nice to meet someone else out there in bloggy land that "gets" teens! I've got six of 'em myself, and I find myself scratching my head on a daily basis, saying, "What the...?"

    Just added myself as a follower. Pop over to my blog and say hi sometime if you get the chance. Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter and I already butt heads because of the stubbornness, and she's only 3. We're in for a good couple of decades.

    I'll be in the apartment next door to you. I'll have spare bottles of wine on hand if you need them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha! Yes it could be a long couple of decades. I think we should move to a vineyard :)

      Delete
  11. nah! They're just scaring you! If she already is asserting her independence but at the same time staying affectionate, then she's not completely going to go berserk after that!! Right?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have four teens...
    I have wanted to move out for a few years, instead I stick to girls night once a week with some other moms. We have dinner then go drink wine, beer, cocktails.(what ever we fancy and when we really want to be nice,we allow the husbands to come.) We decompress, complain about kids and feel better when we leave. The sad part, we use to go once a month, which then turned into every other week and now once a week! lol
    I now dream of the day when my boys realize I was the perfect mother (sarcastic) and they were huge butts, because there aren't enough cell phones, computers, xboxes or ps3's to take away!

    ReplyDelete